Learning & events
Te Reo Online Wānanga Series: Incorporating te reo and tikanga Māori into mediation practice (Taumata 2 - Level 2)
with Max Matenga and Wi Pere Mita, delivered in collaboration with the Tūhono Māori Dispute Resolution Collective
Starts 12 October 2021 | Online
6:00 PM - 7:00 PM (NZ Time)
Time converter at worldtimebuddy.com
Te Reo Online Wānanga Series: Incorporating Te Reo and Tikanga Māori into mediation practice (Taumata 2 - Level 2)
This series is delivered in collaboration with the Tūhono Māori Dispute Resolution Collective.
This is a six-week online, introductory course aimed at improving Te Reo Māori proficiency and cultural fluency within a mediation context. This could be your first step in beginning your pathway to becoming accredited in Tūhono Māori Mediation or Farm Debt Mediation (using a tikanga-based process). We recommend completing Te Reo Online Wānanga Series: Incorporating Te Reo and Tikanga Māori into mediation practice (Taumata 1 - Level 1) prior to registering for this course as it builds on content covered in the level 1 course.
The series will cover correct pronunciation of Te Reo Māori words (including personal pronouns), vowels, consonants, diphthongs as well as sentence structures, grammar and syntax, dialectal variations, mihi, karakia, pepeha and whakapapa. The practical skills you will learn in this course include, how to confidently present a mihi, recite a karakia; incorporate te reo Māori words, phrases and idioms into mediation practice.
- confidently present a mihi;
- confidently recite a karakia;
- improve pronunciation of Te Reo Māori;
- improve proficiency in Te Reo Māori;
- acquire a comprehensive list of new vocabulary, idioms and proverbs;
- prepare participants for the ‘Aromatawai’ assessment;
- gain an understanding of the practical application of tikanga, including karakia, mihi, whakatau/pōwhiri, pepeha and whakapapa, within a mediation context;
Week 1: 12 October 2021
Week 2: 19 October 2021
Week 3: 26 October 2021
Week 4: 2 November 2021
Week 5: 9 November 2021
Week 6: 16 November 2021
Times: 6pm – 7.00pm
This is a basic, introductory course. For those seeking formal training and accreditation in Māori mediation practice, register for the Tūhono Māori mediation training courses. These training courses are open to those with any level of Te Reo and tikanga proficiency. For more information please follow the links below:
- Tuhono Maori Mediation 1-day (introduction) training https://www.tuhono.nz/1day-tuhono-course-1
- Tuhono Maori Mediation 3-day training (pathway to Tuhono Accreditation through Resolution institute) https://www.tuhono.nz/copy-of-1day-tuhono-course
Online Wānanga Series: six, one-hour online workshops upskilling current practitioners via Zoom meetings. A maximum of 15 attendees are able to participate in the series. The trainers and the participants will all be able to see each other and interact online.
About the presenters
Max Matenga is Managing Director of Kāteao Limited, a boutique consultancy firm specialising in Māori strategy, translation services and cultural capability, capacity and competency building.
Max is a native speaker of Te Reo Māori and has a background in the education sector.
Max is a graduate of the Kōhanga Reo and Kura Kaupapa Māori movements. He has taught in Māori Medium Education since 2010 and is an experienced composer, song-writer, Kapa Haka tutor and performer. He also assisted with the development of the tikanga guidance framework for the Farm Debt Mediation Scheme and the Tūhono Māori Mediation model.
Kāteao Limited is a member of the Tūhono Māori Dispute Resolution Collective.
Wi Pere Mita
Wi Pere is a lawyer, mediator and consultant with over 10 years' experience in dispute resolution, governance and law. He is a member of the Institute of Directors and holds a number of directorships and governance roles in the commercial, not-for-profit and private sectors. Wi Pere has practice experience in the areas of family law, intellectual property, employment and HR, media, broadcasting & entertainment law and Māori legal issues.
Wi Pere has a long history with Community Law having been involved in various roles including as a member of the Community Law Centres o Aotearoa National Board and Chair of the Māori Caucus. He also sits on the Board of Directors of Resolution Institute.
Timing: Please note this session runs from 6.00 - 7.00pm NZ time.
Technology required: Zoom application, PC/laptop/tablet/smartphone, Internet connection, sound/speakers or a headset and an in-built microphone.
Accessing the Online Wānanga Series
Online Workshops are run using Zoom as our online platform.
How do I access the Online Wānanga Series?
What do I need on my computer or device to take part in an Online Series?
You will ideally need a computer or device with a camera and microphone and good Internet coverage. You will need to make sure that you can access ‘Zoom’ in your browser. You can download and install Zoom prior or as part of the process when you first click the Zoom link.
You may join the Online Series from your PC, Mac, Linux or mobile devices (IOS or Android). Click here to learn about:
- Supported operating systems, tablets and mobile devices
- Supported browsers
- Required device processor and RAM
- Join a Zoom test meeting to test your Internet connectivity.
- Check here for recommended Internet bandwidth.
- You will need speakers or headphones to listen to the speaker. Check that your headphones or speakers are connected and the volume is turned on (where applicable).
- You may also need to check the Audio Settings on Zoom once you have logged in.
How can I access technical support?
- Resolution Institute Sydney office : +61 2 9251 3366 (Landline) | 1800 651 650 (Freecall)
- Resolution Institute Wellington office: +64 4 470 0110 (Landline) | 0800 453 237 (Freecall)
Zoom Help Centre
If you require urgent assistance and are unable to reach the Resolution Institute office, please contact Zoom Help Centre and choose Free or Pro plan subscribers - Chat Live to begin the chat session. You will be required to provide the event’s Webinar ID that’s on your confirmation email. Zoom chat support is available 24/7.