Learning & events
Mediation refresher | Online | 15 and 17 February 2021
Monday 15 and Wednesday 17 February 2021 | Online
Join this 2-day online course to refresh your mediation skills.
To refresh your memory on the mediation process, and the essential communication skills used by the mediator to facilitate dialogue between the parties throughout the process.
Preparation for mediation is an important part of the process. Understand essential steps that assist preparation for the parties and the mediator, and the value this brings to the mediation.
- Revise key concepts such as the intake process, assessing suitability for mediation, and how to run an effective preliminary meeting
- Revisit the 8 stages of the Diamond model, the role of the mediator in each
- Develop your communication skills as Mediator – hone your listening, questioning and reframing skills
- Participate in 2 mediation simulations with feedback from an experienced coach that will assist your development
Who is this training for?
- Accredited mediators wanting to complete Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Applicants for national accreditation using the ‘experienced qualified’ pathway needing CPD
- Candidates for video assessment seeking practice and feedback
Completed the 5-day Mediation course or equivalent.
What is included?
- Pre-recorded videos on some of the important stages of the mediation process
- Two sessions of 5.5 hour live interactive learning on the Zoom platform, held across two days (see lesson plan below)
Session 1 | Monday 15 February 2021 | 10am - 3.30pm (AEST):
- Preparing for Mediation: Online tutorial
- Discussion forum: Review of the mediation model
- Mediation Role Play Simulation
- Q&A Session
Session 2 | Wednesday 17 February 2021 | 10am - 3.30pm (AEST):
- Mediation Mediation Role Play Simulation
- Mediator's Communication Skills
- Q&A Session
Full program outline available upon registration.
About our trainer
Catherine Davidson is a nationally accredited mediator (NMAS) and is certified by the International Mediation Institute (IMI). Catherine practised commercial litigation in London and Sydney. A mediator for 16 years, Catherine has mediated over 700 commercial and workplace disputes.
Catherine mediates under several industry schemes including the NSW Small Business Commission, Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman (National Franchising Panel), and The NSW Farm Debt Mediation Act. She is also a panel mediator for the Australian Disputes Centre.
Catherine has mediated a broad range of workplace disputes in both the public and private sectors, including tertiary institutions, professional services firms and hospitals.
Catherine is a trainer for the Australian Disputes Centre Mediation Training Workshops in Australia and Asia, and has delivered negotiation and mediation workshops in a number of law schools in India and China.
Your next steps
After graduating from this course, to become accredited you will need to:
Frequently asked questions
Is assessment part of this course?
How do I access the Online Refresher?
What do I need on my computer or device to take part in the Online Refresher?
You will ideally need a computer or device with a camera and microphone and good Internet coverage. You will need to make sure that you can access ‘Zoom’ in your browser. You can download and install Zoom prior or as part of the process when you first click the Zoom link.
You may join the Online Workshop from your PC, Mac, Linux or mobile devices (IOS or Android). Click here to learn about:
- Supported operating systems, tablets and mobile devices
- Supported browsers
- Required device processor and RAM
- Join a Zoom test meeting to test your Internet connectivity.
- Check here for recommended Internet bandwidth.
- You will need speakers or headphones to listen to the speaker. Check that your headphones or speakers are connected and the volume is turned on (where applicable).
- You may also need to check the Audio Settings on Zoom once you have logged in.
How can I access technical support?
- Resolution Institute Sydney office : +61 2 9251 3366 (Landline) | 1800 651 650 (Freecall)
- Resolution Institute Wellington office: +64 4 470 0110 (Landline) | 0800 453 237 (Freecall)
Zoom Help Centre
If you require urgent assistance and are unable to reach the Resolution Institute office, please contact Zoom Help Centre and choose Free or Pro plan subscribers - Chat Live to begin the chat session. You will be required to provide the event’s Webinar ID that’s on your confirmation email. Zoom chat support is available 24/7.
Do you provide in-house courses?
Where are the terms for refunds and transfers?
Bookings for training are subject to terms and conditions. These can be viewed here.