Compulsory mediation to farm business debts in Queensland
31 August 2017
Farm Business Debt Mediation Act 2017
31 August, Brisbane
Join the Queensland Chapter and guest speaker John Simpson to discuss the role of the Queensland Rural and Industry Development Authority (QRIDA) in the context of farm business debt mediation. Under the new Farm Business Debt Mediation Act 2017 (Queensland), financiers need to participate in debt mediation with farmers before foreclosure. John's presentation will cover:
- Support offered by the QRIDA to financiers and/or graziers
- Programs available through the QRIDA for financiers and/or graziers
- Compulsory mediation process for financiers and graziers who are unable to resolve their disputes
- Advantages of the farm business debt mediation to financiers and graziers
- Recommendations to ensure that the compulsory mediation process works effectively in practice
The presentation will run for about 45 minutes, with 15 minutes for questions and answers.
About John Simpson
John Simpson is the Queensland Rural and Industry Development Authority’s Manager for Farm Business Debt Mediation. Before overseeing the development, implementation and delivery of the program, John has held senior roles with QRAA, Suncorp, Westpac and the Australian Stock Exchange, delivering financial programs to the primary industry, business and non-profit sectors. He holds a Commerce degree from Griffith University and is involved in various organisations at the community level.