Resolving a Dispute

Member Login

Need help?

Adjudication / Building disputes

What is adjudication?

State governments in Australia have adopted legislation to ensure regular and prompt payment for work done under contracts in the construction industry.

Under these laws claimants who have provided work, goods or services can force the respondent to make payment on account. The scheme has been set up to provide speedy and inexpensive management of disputed claims.

The process used is called "adjudication" and is designed to maintain progress payments under dispute. Claimants who have a dispute over payment can lodge an adjudication application with an Adjudicator or Authorised Nomination Authority (ANA). The Adjudicator is a person agreed between the participants or nominated by an ANA to determine a payment dispute.

Resolution Institute is an Authorised Nominating Authority (ANA) for building and construction security of payment disputes in NSW, VIC and TAS.

IAMA (administered by Resolution Institute) is an ANA in the ACT, NT, SA and WA. Resolution Institute are initiating a process for applying to become an ANA in each of these jurisdictions.

Find information about building and construction security of payment disputes in your state:

NSW >>

VIC >>(Documents can be served to Level 10, Tower 4, World Trade Centre, 611 Flinders Street, Melbourne, 3005)

TAS >>

SA >>(Documents can be served to 213 Greenhill Road, Eastwood, 5063)

WA >>(Documents can be served to 44 Kings Park Rd, West Perth, 6005)

NT >>

ACT >>

QLD >>