Assessing suitability and preparing clients for mediation
Developing effective preliminary conference / intake processes
Trainer: Franca Petrone
CPD: 6.5 hours
Cost: $629 for members and $659 for non members (GST inclusive). Early bird discount available when you register one month in advance
This workshop provides an opportunity to expand your skills for recognising disputes that are suitable for mediation and those that may require a different intervention. By uncovering issues of power imbalance, safety, control or intimidation, you will be able to work out ways of dealing with these effectively in the mediation process or feel confident to make a referral to a different process.
- Techniques for screening
- Approaches for effective questioning to structure discussions in the intake session
- Options for addressing power dynamics
- Strategies for ensuring informed decision-making to enter the process
- Methods to ensure participants have all relevant information, understand their role and are fully prepared for the commencement of mediation
- Measures to ensure safety and full, active participation in mediation
- Requirements of the Australian National Mediator Practice Standards and Family Law Regulations (for family dispute resolution providers)
Features of the program
- Stimulating discussion
- Small group feedback
- Opportunities for practice in simulations
- Comprehensive course notes
- Certificate of attendance
Who should attend
- New or newly trained mediators who want to deepen their understanding, practice their skills and receive feedback
- Experienced mediators who want to complement their strengths with a structure for preliminary conferencing or intake and maintain competencies in accordance with the National Mediator Accreditation System and Family Law Regulations.
Franca Petrone provides facilitation, mediation, conflict management coaching, restorative engagement, training and mentoring services to a range of public and private sector organisations. She has taught at various universities over the last 25 years and currently runs a Dispute Management masters course for the ANU College of Law. Franca mediates in areas including commercial, workplace, personal injury and family matters and works as a part-time Conference Registrar for the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.