NZ update | May 2020
I hope everyone is starting to enjoy a little more freedom under our new COVID-19 level. Our team are primarily still working from home but also opening the office when needed – for example when a member wants to use our rooms for a mediation.
Our mediation rooms are large enough to hold meetings with the suitable social distancing and we are following all the COVID-19 safety protocols. Our room hire is very reasonably priced, so please contact us if you need a mediation space in the Wellington CBD.
Despite lockdown our office has been very busy especially in the training and accreditation areas. Some of this month’s highlights are:
- Commencing the process of forming a Maori Caucus which will provide valuable input into the business of Resolution Institute. The Maori Caucus along with the Pacifica Networking Group is part of our commitment to make the services provided by Resolution Institute better suited to the wider community of our wonderful country. The Maori Caucus formation is in its early stages and I will provide updates in the next Pulse.
- In conjunction with AMINZ we have completed the Farm Debt Mediation application and assessment process. Applications are now open to become an authorised mediator under the Farm Debt Mediation Act. At this stage we are only accepting applications from people who are qualified/accredited mediators. This is because the main competency required under the Act is mediation skills. As we are currently unable to run our five-day mediation course, we cannot accept applications from non-mediators. However, anyone who has rural competencies and knowledge as per the Act can contact us and register for our next five-day mediation course (date to be determined). That way you will not miss out on the first available course.
- Laura has been working hard on our webinar series and she has arranged some outstanding presenters on a wide variety of subjects. Information on these can be found on our website.
- On the subject of webinars, I am very pleased to say that from 1 July the individual webinar price for New Zealand members has been reduced. Webinars are to be paid for in Australian dollars. To help cover the additional cost of exchange rates etc we have reduced the cost per webinar from $35 to $30 AUD. Alternatively, you can purchase a Professional Development subscription for $195 NZD which gives you access to all webinars and our networking meetings which will resume by early 2021, if not earlier.
- In the accreditation area, thanks to the innovative work of my team, we can now offer online mediation accreditation assessments and online mediation practice groups. This means if you would like to become a Resolution Institute-accredited mediator or FDR-accredited you will no longer need to travel to a location for a face-to-face assessment. If you are interested just give Kim a call at our office and she will make all the arrangements.
- You would have also seen notification of the forming of the New Zealand Professional Development Group (PDG). These have been established throughout Australia and New Zealand to provide members with a pathway to inform and advise Resolution Institute management of the needs of members. The response has been outstanding which is very pleasing to see.
I am very pleased to let you know that Laura Collins has been promoted to the Resolution Institute management team as the Professional Development and Training Manager NZ. This area is a vital part of the services we provide and Laura’s experience, knowledge and skills in the adult education field are an invaluable asset to Resolution Institute. This is reflected by the outstanding webinars, workshops, conferences and online training Laura has created which has been recognised by our CEO and me.
Finally, over the last couple of months we have faced an extraordinary challenge in trying to beat the COVID-19 virus. Regardless of your political persuasion I believe our government has done an excellent job. However, the real achievers are all of us. We listened, we acted, and we did so with kindness and positivity. We are very close to winning this battle and I feel immensely proud to be part of the '5 Million team' that did so and so should all of you.
Stay safe, be kind and have a great month.