Learning & events
Online Masterclass series: Negotiation Skills for Complaints Handling
with Shiv Martin
25, 26 and 27 October 2021 | 12-2.30pm AEDT | Online
This online course seeks to provide frontline staff who deal with client enquiries or complaints with skills in negotiation and conflict resolution. The course will provide practical strategies and tools for preparing for and engaging in effective conversations. We will look at how to conduct an interest-based negotiation and break out into collaborative group discussions and role plays that explore the different elements of communication. The course will also cover some strategies for dealing with difficult conversations and unreasonable behaviour.
The training is conducted over three days. Please refer to the dates and times as listed below.
Monday 25 October| 12–2.30pm AEDT
- Understanding the underlying causes of a complaint
- Different approaches to complaints resolution (early resolution, investigation, decision making, review)
- Applying the conflict resolution continuum
- Importance of good complaints handling – human rights considerations
- Establishing the right policies and processes for best practice in complaints handling
Tuesday 26 October| 12–2.30pm AEDT
- Addressing the underlying causes of a complaint with reference to Transactional Negotiation v Interest-based Negotiation
- Uncovering underlying interests and effective information gathering
- Establishing credibility and managing expectations
- Brainstorming options for negotiated outcomes
Wednesday 27 October 2021 | 12–2.30pm AEDT
- Advanced communications skills for communicating with individuals with psychosocial disability
- Managing repeat/ vexatious complainants
- Checking yourself and supporting your team – building resilience in complaints handling work
- Strategies for systemic improvement
About the presenter
Shiv is a nationally accredited mediator, lawyer, statutory decision maker and certified trainer. She has engaged in complex dispute resolution in the government and legal sectors for over 10 years. As a trainer, Shiv has a unique and diverse set of expertise in Law, Management, Adult Education and Mediation.
Shiv is currently an Assistant Information Commissioner, Queensland. In this role she makes statutory decisions on the information and privacy rights of individuals, corporations and government entities. Shiv also runs her own practice, Integrative Conversations and conducts private mediations and conflict resolution training.
As a Conference Registrar for the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, Shiv conducted conferences and conciliations in a broad array of public sector disputes including tax, worker’s compensation and disability support (NDIS matters) and social services complaints.
Shiv is an active member of the South Queensland Dispute Resolution Centre where she continues to train, coach and assess aspiring mediators for Mediator Accreditation.
Most recently, Shiv has partnered with MODRON in introducing and supporting dispute resolution practitioners in transitioning to online dispute resolution platforms. Some of the organisations that Shiv has trained for include:
Timing: Please note this session runs from 12–2.30pm AEDT over 3 days
Technology required: Zoom application, PC/laptop/tablet/smartphone, Internet connection, sound/speakers or a headset and an in-built microphone.
Accessing the Online Workshop
Online Workshops are run using Zoom as our online platform.
How do I access the Online Workshop?
What do I need on my computer or device to take part in an Online Workshop?
You will ideally need a computer or device with a camera and microphone and good Internet coverage. You will need to make sure that you can access ‘Zoom’ in your browser. You can download and install Zoom prior or as part of the process when you first click the Zoom link.
You may join the Online Workshop from your PC, Mac, Linux or mobile devices (IOS or Android). Click here to learn about:
- Supported operating systems, tablets and mobile devices
- Supported browsers
- Required device processor and RAM
- Join a Zoom test meeting to test your Internet connectivity.
- Check here for recommended Internet bandwidth.
- You will need speakers or headphones to listen to the speaker. Check that your headphones or speakers are connected and the volume is turned on (where applicable).
- You may also need to check the Audio Settings on Zoom once you have logged in.
How can I access technical support?
- Resolution Institute Sydney office : +61 2 9251 3366 (Landline) | 1800 651 650 (Freecall)
- Resolution Institute Wellington office: +64 4 470 0110 (Landline) | 0800 453 237 (Freecall)
Zoom Help Centre
If you require urgent assistance and are unable to reach the Resolution Institute office, please contact Zoom Help Centre and choose Free or Pro plan subscribers - Chat Live to begin the chat session. You will be required to provide the event’s Webinar ID that’s on your confirmation email. Zoom chat support is available 24/7.